After a couple of months of working hard to get the garden in shape for the summer, I’m escaping right in my own backyard! Escaping from the noise of cars, escaping from the weeds which seem to appear overnight, escaping from the endless pile of laundry. And I’m doing it without getting on a plane or driving hours to the cottage. I’m sitting back, relaxing and opening up my Kobo Aura H2O reader and journeying to another time or place with a new book.
Here’s how to create your own relaxing spot in your own garden:
Choose a shady spot to keep cool. We’ve built a deck under a couple of maple trees at the back of the garden. That part of the backyard quickly became our “go to” spot when we first moved here. So choose a spot where you can enjoy the shade while you read. I know not everyone has a backyard filled with maple trees. But you can still enjoy some shade by adding an shade umbrella or placing a lounge chair on the shady side of the house.
- Find a comfy chair and fluff up some colourful cushions.
- Add some live plants. Because there’s so much colour in the rug and cushions, these hostas add some life without clashing with the colours in the accessories.
- As the sun goes down, you’ll need some light. Adding some lanterns and candleholders will illuminate your reading spot. I use battery operated candles to avoid dripping wax and candles blowing out in the wind.
- Pour yourself a glass of ice tea and grab a healthy snack like some almonds.
- Grab a comfy throw – it can get chilly even on the hottest days when the sun starts to go down. The Mexican “blanket” on the sofa is actually a heavy cotton tablecloth. It’s the perfect weight to use at this time of year.
- Grab a Kobo Aura H2O reader and escape to another world with their huge library of over 5 million book titles.
I have to admit that I have resisted buying an e-reader.
I thought the Kobo reader wouldn’t have the kind of books I like. WRONG! There’s every genre imaginable.
I thought it would be difficult to read. WRONG! The Kobo Aura H2O is anti-glare, dustproof and has 10 fonts perfected pixel-by-pixel to display each letter with crisp, clean perfection and 24 font sizes with adjustable font sharpness and weight settings to truly customize your reading experience and read exactly the way you want.
The technical specs are: at 265 dpi, this eReader has a spacious 6.8” touchscreen offering a print-on-paper experience, showcasing text and high-resolution images beautifully.( and light as a feather) With 4GB of on-board storage (expandable up to 32GB with a microSD card), readers can easily store thousands of eBooks. The Kobo Aura H2O has a battery life of up to two months! So no battery dying on you when you’re in the middle of a good chapter!
And the coolest thing of all??? It’s WATERPROOF!
That makes it perfect for the beach or bath! In fact, it will withstand water to a depth of 1 metre for up to 30 minutes. I tested it by pouring a cup of ice tea over it and it simply wiped dry!
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Am,bassador Program with Kobo and I recieved compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
I’m reading “The Summer Before The War” – escaping to 1914 Britian. Enjoying the interesting cast of characters spending their summer in pre-WWI Sussex.
And because I love historical novels, next on my reading list is “The Swans of Fifth Avenue“, the story of famed write Truman Capote and his friendship with socialite Babe Paley in the glamour of 1950’s New York City.
There’s so many titles to choose from. Kobo is offering my readers a $5 discount off your first book purchase. Where will you be escaping to this summer?
And the best part?? A chance to win your own Kobo Summer Giveaway: