Buenos Dias! Today, let’s take a trip to Mexico to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a progressive dinner party featuring some of my favourite Blooming Blogger buddies.
What’s a progressive dinner party? In real life, you would start at one house for cocktails and appetizers. Then you would move on to another home for the first course, another for the main, etc. But we’re doing it “virtually”! So each of us “hostesses” are creating a dish and then inviting you to move on to the next blogger to check out her recipes.
We’ll be at Carol’s The Gardening Cook and drinking Micheladas (Mexican Bloody Marys)
I’ll be hosting the appetizers at New House New Home. We’re having a Veracruz favourite – shrimp ceviche.
It’s a nice light appetizer with a bit of Mexican kick. It seems like a lot of shrimp (1 1/2 lbs), but I recently served it as an appetizer at a dinner party for 6 and it could have easily served 8 easily. The shrimp is “cooked” in a lime juice – the acidity of the lime juice turns the shrimp from raw to cooked.
Ceviche – A Veracruz Favourite
Recipe Type: Appetizer
You’ll find ceviche in most Latino restaurants, but it originated in Veracruz, Mexico. This shrimp version is full of flavour thanks to the addition of sirracha – a spicy chili paste from SouthEast Asia.
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp – peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice – about 6 small limes
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp Sirracha or other hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and toss in the lime juice. Let it sit while you chop the tomatoes and onions. Add them to the mixture and let it sit for about 20 minutes to soften the onions a bit.
- Add the cilantro, Worcestershire, ketchup, chili flakes and hot sauce. Taste to adjust heat. Taste to add salt and pepper.
- Toss completely. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Serve in glass dishes.
Main Dish #1:
Main Course #2
Wow! What an awesome party! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did hosting it! Don’t forget to pin it for the future!