This DIY wreath festooned with forsythia and a spring nest has been hanging on the front door for six weeks now. It’s perfect for April with it’s cloudy skies and lacklustre landscapes.
But the pussy willows and forsythia are finished blooming in our gardens. So I wanted to add something new and more seasonal to the front door to welcome spring. Also, I’ve been wanting to make my own “initial” wreath. So I combined both in this spring “initial” wreath.
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own:
Grapevine Wreath – I used a 14″ wreath, but you can choose whatever size works best for your door.
Moss Mat – This sheet moss will make doing crafts so much easier (and a lot less messy than loose moss).
Faux apple blossoms – I found mine at the dollar store.
Faux “filler” flowers – berries, sprigs of leaves, etc.
Small piece of cardboard
Start by making your initial.
Once you’ve cut out all the pieces, use a hot glue gun to attach the moss to the cardboard. Let it cool while you work on your wreath.
Cut the blossom stems and filler stems into smaller pieces. I usually cut each stem in half which in this case gave me six smaller stems from one larger one. Reserve some individual blossoms to use as fillers.
Hot glue the apple blossom stems onto the wreath starting with the darker ones and then filling in with the lighter ones. For a cascading look like this wreath, choose a centre point and start building two “sweeps” on either side.
Tuck the berry stems into the cherry blossoms where needed.
If you have any leftover single blossoms, you can use them to create an arching effect on the wreath like in the right hand side of the photo.
With the remaining reserved blossoms, make sure you fill in the centre spot. With my initial “B”, the stems gathered in the centre point would have shown making it look messy. By adding some extra blossoms into the centre, it created a nice “pillow” of blooms to rest the initial.
Hot glue your initial into place. Make sure that it is attached enough to the base flowers, otherwise it will appear floppy. Trust me on this one. I hung the wreath only to discover a tilted “B”. This was not going to last long.
Doing a wreath like this is so simple AND inexpensive. I think I paid about $6 total on the blossoms, used some moss I already had and tore apart an old grapevine wreath from my stash.
The apple blossoms on this wreath scream spring! And the initial just personalizes it a bit more for my front door.