Even though most of my decorating has been done for fall, I feel like there’s always room for a new DIY wreath. In this case, three. Well, a trio of DIY wreaths actually.
A trio of hydrangea blooms tied together with some burlap ribbon for the living room mirror. I love hydrangeas and these rusty orange ones were calling me at Michael’s last week. So here’s how I made it:
You need three MDF wreath frames -these ones are six inches in diameter, but choose the size you want big or small.
Three hydrangea stems – obviously mine are faux. But you could make them with dried hydrangeas too. I think you would need at least double that amount as the blooms will be smaller.
Glue Gun and glue
2″ wide wired ribbon – the picture shows the ribbon I bought, but then changed my mind to good old burlap. Why not?
Start by cutting two 12″ lengths of ribbon. And then fold them in thirds like you would an envelope. Loop one length of ribbon through two of the wreath forms.
Now glue them in place securely by attaching a dab of glue to the wreath form, pressing the bottom loop firmly and then repeating with the top piece of ribbon. Repeat with the second and third wreath forms using the second piece of ribbon.
Cut apart the flower heads to create individual blossoms. I found that this was the easiest way to get a filled look. If I just cut the clusters of three flower heads, they looked too long. So take an extra minute and cut them into small individual blooms.
Then start gluing the individual blooms onto the wreath forms. Be careful not to just add rows, but tuck the blooms into each other. Once you’ve finished, step back and see if there are any holes. Fill them with some more flowers. You want a full even look. Repeat with the other two wreath rings.
Now cut another piece of ribbon about 16″ long, fold it in half and glue it to the back of the bottom ring. You can cut a fancy ‘v’ shape to the bottom of the ribbon if you want.
Now add a bow to the bottom wreath. Mine is a simple two loop bow wrapped in more ribbon, all stuck together with glue and glued right onto the wreath form.
My next challenge was to find a perfect spot for my new wreath. I thought it would look good hanging on the wall in the living room. Nope. Big failure – it looks like it’s floating in mid-air and doesn’t work well with the sconce hanging above it.
That’s better. I hung it on the mirror above my Emperor Silk side table. The rusty orange works well with the plates, the brass coffee pots that were my mother-in-laws and the floral drapes (original to the house – but they’ve grown on me).
By the way, I hung it using this – one of those removable sticky things with a hook. That way I can remove it when the time comes.
A trio of hydrangea blooms all wrapped up with some burlap ribbon.
Six of my blogging friends have been busy creating their own fall wreaths. Be sure to check out their creations: