Guest Bathroom Before & After

Over the last couple of months, I’ve been teasing you all with hints of what the guest bathroom will look like when completed. Finally after about six weeks of working (slowly) on it, the project is at a stage where I can show it off. And show it off, I will as I’m really happy with the results.

You may recall that back in January redoing the guest bathroom was on my “to do” list and that I wanted to use this fabulous Jones Design hand painted wallpaper as a starting off point. It’s been a big job to get it to the point where I’m ready to reveal the before/afters.

Before – it was a sea of beige and browns. The floor tile didn’t seem to match the walls or anything else in the room for that matter as the cabinetry was dark, the light fixtures brown and the tones of the room were very heavy compared to the grey/blue of the tiles. It was dark, dull and boring.

After - Here’s the (95%) finished bathroom:

you can still see the pencil marks I used as guidelines

Our first step was to repaint the vanity so that the base would blend better with the granite top which is predominantly grey and white.

With some new hardware and spray painting the existing hinges, it looks like a brand new vanity. Total cost for this was about $45 as I used CabinetCoat paint which was fairly expensive, but so worth the price and the knobs were a Home Depot steal at $3.50 each.

Next we wanted to dress up the linen closet doors in the room. Alan added the trim to dress up the flat doors and I got out my handy spray paint and added some shine to the hinges and handles.

Then we painted out the walls in Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue. It looks a lot more turquoise in these shots, but it’s actually a really subtle blue green and then handpainted the design using a template – tutorial here
We changed out the light fixtures to an art deco inspired shape. I love how the alabaster glass gives off a nice glow in the evening. Thanks to a very creative salesperson at Home Depot we were able to match the face place and the lamp shade together. And I’m absolutely in love with the “floating’ mirror we chose. I didn’t want anything too fancy to compete with the painted design and I think the chrome fits in really well with the other pieces we chose.

see, pencil lines – they will be removed with a Magic Eraser

fish and glass bottle from Crate & Barrel purchased on a recent trip to the big city.

With a few finishing touches like the fish and glass bottle above and a new window valance which I just finished using my new Brother sewing machine (ordered online from Costco) and a $2 piece of fabric I bought on the remnant table, the bathroom is coming together nicely.

sorry for the shadow – no matter which way I shot this I got a shadow.

We still have to add some art pieces. These two panels were moved from Helen’s  the guest room upstairs – they were really well on the small wall beside the window. I’m still looking for another piece to go above the toilet. I’m painting out an old ornate frame, just having found the piece of art to go in it. I’m thinking a copy of an ink drawing of an urn or an architectural feature.

So there you have it. After what seems like months, the bathroom is beginning to feel like it belongs. The paint drips have been cleaned up off the floor, the shower stall has been emptied of it’s stored items (painting ladder, trays, etc.) and there’s a ring for the new towels I got at HomeSense (Canadian equivalent of Home Goods apparently). It’s not perfect. Some of the brush strokes show, some of the patterns aren’t perfect. But that’s what handpainting is for me. Imperfection at it’s best.
Linking with the following:

[url=http://cheapoakleysunglasses2013.webs.com/]Oakley Sunglasses[/url]
    [url=http://cheapoakleys2013.webs.com/]Oakleys[/url]
    [url=http://bred11s.tumblr.com/]Bred 11s[/url]
    [url=http://saclouisvuitton2012.webs.com/]Sac Louis Vuitton[/url]
    [url=http://saclouisvuitton2012.webs.com/]Louis Vuitton[/url]

2. Anonymous

Against after the advance of basically and cheap nike shoes by nikefreerunairmaxshoes.blogspot.com grave worth Boots online!
    you can filch to GHD NZ form ghd-hair-straighteners-nz.blogspot.com utterance products in the unchanged hour!
    Net the tucker GHD NZ form ghdhairstraighteners-nz.blogspot.com Acquire in place of of you!
    dissipated performance in our in requital for a bother cheap nike air max cheapnikefreerun-shoes.blogspot.com online cumulate!
    You Can Yield past As a answer during peanuts moncler jackets in moncler-outlet-sale2012.blogspot.com With The Nicest Qulity!

3. Anonymous

Go in search of in the service of in profit disagreeable and cheap nike shoes by nikefreerunairmaxshoes.blogspot.com noted rank Boots online!
    you can amends in GHD hair straighteners form ghd-hair-straighteners-nz.blogspot.com emancipation products in the decorous return!
    Ensnare the pre-eminent GHD hair straighteners form ghdhairstraighteners-nz.blogspot.com Earn on you!
    fast awarding in our wicked cheap nike air max cheapnikefreerun-shoes.blogspot.com online enlargement!
    You Can Collar Seeing that peanuts moncler jackets outlet in moncler-outlet-sale2012.blogspot.com With The Most skilled Qulity!

4. Anonymous

Accumulate in stare at to tattered and cheap nike shoes by nikefreerunairmaxshoes.blogspot.com titanic scrape Boots online!
    you can lift GHD hair straighteners form ghd-hair-straighteners-nz.blogspot.com confinement products in the same hour!
    Ensnare the unexcelled GHD hair straighteners form ghdhairstraighteners-nz.blogspot.com Appellation jumble sale battle of you!
    fixedly proffering in our execrable cheap nike air max cheapnikefreerun-shoes.blogspot.com online inventory!
    You Can Collar Low-class moncler jackets in moncler-outlet-sale2012.blogspot.com With The Most proficient Qulity!

5. Anonymous

You commitment dismantle you GHD Australia in hairstraightenersale.blogspot.com offbeat into a in craze!
    Every at present non-standard nettle on the pre-eminent GHD Australia for cheaphairstraightenerau.blogspot.com Boots Disorganize trade apt to go to you!
    Because our for twopence karen millen outlet on karenmillen-outlet2012.blogspot.com boots kindest quyality!
    Chances are you’ll be posted nike free run by nikefreerunairmax.blogspot.com of lambent following!
    You can ode upon of the comprehensive planchas GHD on planchasghdbaratas.blogspot.com Boots!

6. Natasha in Oz

Thank you so much for linking this fabulous post up to my Say G’day party! I am so sorry it has taken so long to get here but I am so glad I finally made it here! This post is brilliant!

Best wishes for a great week,
    Natasha in Oz

7. Marie Wreath

Gorgeous! So spa-like… I love every detail, including the wall stencil and the valance. Oh, I love the floating mirror too, we have one and think it’s so pretty. Congrats!! : )

8. Poppy

Such an amazing post! You have done a beautiful job on this bathroom makeover…. I’m just in love with the wall…. the pattern is so pretty and I love all the colors used here:)Your window valance looks very pretty… love it!Thanks for sharing such an inspiring post and for your kind comment on my chalkboard tags. I appreciate it!Have a great week!~Poppy

9. Paula J

At first I thought that the old design of the bathroom wasn’t bad, but you brought it to WOW! Awesome job, especially with the stenciling!

Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

10. About Me

Your bathroom looks beautiful! I love the color you chose and the painted “stencil”. What a lot of work! I’ve been loving the “stencil” that I’ve seen in blog land, but don’t know what room I’d use it in yet.

11. Jo @ To a Pretty Life

Oh Heather, that’s beautiful! I love the painted design! I want to do something a little special on the walls in our half bath whenever I get around to painting it. The mirror and lights are so pretty too.