Saturday Lunch – Turkey Meatball and Spinach Soup

Believe me when I say that this is so much better than it sounds. Hearty, filling, full of flavour, this soup can be either a lunch (which it was on Saturday) or dinner any night of the week when you’re in a hurry. Sometimes I make this soup with orzo, that rice shaped pasta. But since we had none in the cupboard, I used little tubes known as ditalini.

I’ve added a new feature to the blog so that you can now print the recipes posted from now on. Just click on the “print recipe” words below the title of the recipe and print out the page that comes up. Hope it is a useful tool for you.

Turkey Meatball and Spinach Soup
(print recipe)

For Meatballs:

1 lb. ground turkey
1 egg
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme)

Mix together the ingredients for the meatballs. Form into 1 inch balls. You should get about 30 meatballs from one pound of ground meat. Refrigerate while making heating soup mixture.

For Soup:

8 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 TBS salt
1 tsp pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped

1 cup orzo or ditalini pasta
1 pkg baby spinach leaves – washed
In a large saucepan, heat chicken stock and water till boiling. Add salt and pepper, onion and carrots. Simmer for 10 minutes till vegetables are soft. Drop in meatballs and bring back to a slow boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add pasta and continue to cook soup until pasta is tender and meatballs are cooked through, about 10 more minutes. Add spinach and let simmer till softened – 5 minutes.
Serve with some grated parmesan.

I’m linking in with the great people at Reason to Skip Housework for Time Out Tuesdays – check them out for some cool ideas.

28 thoughts on “Saturday Lunch – Turkey Meatball and Spinach Soup

1. Anonymous

Just made this soup tonight! Went lighter on the salt, added more noodles…. So delicious!! My fiancé LOVED it! Thanks!

2. Lori

Glad I found you on the Linky hop…I’m following with GFC and LF. I would love if you stopped by and followed back, so we can stay connected. Lori

3. momto8

this is an Italian soup my mom used to make…we called it “wedding soup” …evryones favorite soup!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

4. Allison

This soup looks delicious! I’m a new following, from the blog hop. I hope you’ll consider following my blog, Allison’s Durham Deals. It’s a thrifty living blog, with a focus on cooking.

5. Pieced Pastimes

This soup looks so delicious. Found you via the Linky hop and have become your newest follower. Looking forward to reading your future posts. Hope you have a chance to visit and perhpas follow me back.

6. Michelle

We make a soup similar to this one,but I have to say yours look better.I am now following you on Linky.I would love it if you followed me back. I really enjoy meeting new Bloggers.

7. Mary

Hi Heather,

What a lovely post – - -discovered you from your comment at my guest post today at Reluctant Entertainer.

I think I saw your blog once before because I recognize the picture of your home – just gorgeous! I signed up to receive your e-mails, so I don’t lose you.

Love your soup. Reminds me of Italian Wedding Soup – - – but love the idea of using the turkey! Will be a great night to make that here as we are having some real cold weather here in the Hill Country…well cold for us…about 45 degrees. I bet you are laughing! :-)

Visit with you again soon!

Love,