Have you ever come across something at a yard sale or auction that you knew you just had to have even though it was dirty/old/useless/broken? That’s exactly how I felt when I saw these two dirty old chicken feeder troughs at a farm sale last fall. I didn’t know what I would do with them. I just loved their shape and size and broken down old wood.
At about 10 feet long, these chicken feeders were really too big to use inside (unless you were lucky enough to have a HUGE kitchen table) and with no clear plan, they sat in the garage over the winter.
A couple of weeks ago it was finally warm enough to actually do some work in the garage, so hubby cut them down. One has been cut into three pieces, each of which is about 3′ long (like the one above) and the other was cut into two pieces. The challenge was that by cutting them, we needed some new “ends”. So we dug around until we found some scrap wood and hubby cut out ends to match the originals. He even found some old square ended nails to use in reconstructing them. Cool man I have there.
After a bit of reconstruction to attach the new ends and cut down the handle to fit, a thin coat of ASCP Pure White was applied. Before it was totally dry, I wiped it down to take off some excess paint and let the wood grain show through.
It’s rough wood finish and cracks and holes in the wood show through nicely with some distressing. After all when you have an old worn piece like this, making it too “new” defeats the whole purpose in my opinion.
We still have 4 more pieces to work with. I can see this on a kitchen table filled with jars and flowers, in the garden as an accent piece or even as a window box. Telling your friends that it used to be a chicken feeder is half the fun!
It’s okay, isn’t it? I mean, here in Canada we really don’t have much to work with right now. And even though the sun has shone for a day or two, there’s always some grey days ahead of us in April. So I did the unthinkable and mixed some faux and real flowers together to create a welcoming spring vignette for the front door.
My jumping off point was the forsythia wreath which is made from faux branches picked up at the dollar store last month. I’ve been waiting for the forsythia to bloom in my neighbour’s yard so that I could cut some down. But it’s been a cold and long winter and I just couldn’t wait any longer.
And I’ve been waiting for the tulip bulbs to emerge from their winter home in these pots. They were planted up in October and tucked away in the garage for the winter. Here’s how they looked in the fall….
Now that the sun has warmed the soil a bit, they’ve started to show some signs of growth. But it’s still about a month before they will be blooming, so I added some pansies around the outside of the pot.
Then I headed back inside and raided the kitchen table for the faux forsythia stems left over from the wreath project. A few clips here and there to give them a more natural look and the new urns are ready to welcome the sunny weather.
From the street, you’d never know they were faux stems. In fact, it’s hard to tell until you are really close. It’s not something I usually do. But it’s okay, isn’t it? I haven’t broken any Golden Rule here, have I?
I picked up this plain galvanized flower pot at a local yard sale last week. It had seen better days and needed something to give it a little flair.
A simple chalkboard Paris label added some French flair. The label came from The Graphics Fairy and I used the Iron-On Images – Paris Label graphic. I wanted a chalkboard look, so it was faded a bit using PicMonkey to achieve the grey chalkboard affect. Then printed out on a sheet of sticker paper, cut it out and simply attached it to the pot.
A little bird clip added some springtime charm to the pot of azaleas which were a sweet gift from my hubby while I recuperate from my back issues.
Stocking up on sticker paper and creating a file with downloadable graphics means that simple items like a discarded flower pot can be turned into something “yours” in no time at all.